Friends of Mitchell (FOM) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization formed and funded by Mitchell School parents, teachers, and members of the community for the purposes of supporting Ellen Mitchell Elementary School.
What’s so special about Mitchell?
Ellen Mitchell Elementary School is a high-performing elementary school in Chicago’s West Town community.
As a result of significant efforts and involvement of both the faculty, parents and the community, Mitchell School has been recognized in several ways, including the following:
- Mitchell is a Level 1 school.
- On the NWEA MAP test, Mitchell outperformed 95 percent of the schools nationwide in both reading and math in 2014-2015.
- We had 10 teachers win Chicago Fund for Education grants this year, more than any other school in Chicago.
- Our teachers are recognized locally and nationally for their instruction. Staff members lead district professional development for the CPS Office of Teaching and Learning, run Study Groups through Chicago Fund of Education, design district assessments, and lead network math professional development.
- We have 10 National Board Certified teachers, 1 finalist for the Fishman Prize for Superlative Teaching and 1 Golden Apple finalist.
Mitchell School is a small school by design, where parents, staff, and community members collaboratively facilitate the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of all students. Mitchell uses innovative curriculum design and programming to prepare students for college and career success.
As a result of these achievements, Mitchell School attracts families from all over the city. The small school design creates a sense of community where everyone can become involved and contribute to the success of the school.
FoM has a number of fundraising initiatives where you can help!
We raise money by writing government and foundation grants, as well as by organizing large events like our annual Evening of Dreams Benefit. We also produce small-scale events, like our Chili Cook Off where Mitchell Dads bring their A-game to the art of making chili. Find out how you can help with some of our Upcoming Fundraising Events by emailing Lynn Bagley.
Mitchell parents can help fund-raise everyday just by doing what you already do! Sign up for our Earn While You Shop programs and every time you shop at Target, buy your groceries or eat out, you can earn money for Mitchell!
For the 2015-2016 school year FoM is providing the following support to Mitchell:
- ST Math & Mathletics subscriptions for classroom math instruction
- Reading A to Z / RAZ kids
- Technology equipment and replacement items
- Hubbard Street Dance
- Adventure Stage – 4th grade
- Violin Program
- Band Program
- Spring Musical
- Drumming Program
- Creative Dramatics 1st-3rd grades
- Additional field trip bus for each class (pre-k – 8th grade)
- Girls on the Run
- Springfield Field Trip – 4th Grade
- Chicago Tour Field Trip – 3rd Grade
- Iron Oaks Team Building Field Trip – 6th Grade
- Teacher’s Gifts and Support Staff Gifts – Gift cards
- Mitchell School Garden
- 8th Grade Field Trip to DC
- Books for classrooms and library via to the Barnes & Noble Book Fair
- Support for Essentials Classes – Art, Music, P.E. & Chinese
We need your help today! The involvement of every parent can make a difference. For more information on how you can get involved with fundraising contact Molly Klein Catalano. For general questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.